Here’s a simple recipe for a slightly decadent but very delicious brunch. Mama is massive fan of sweet and savoury dishes, and this is the closest she’s going to get to the pre-veggie days of blueberry pancakes with streaky bacon. Mmmm. Anyway, our Very Berryicious Grilled Blue Cheese is yummy and seriously easy – let me know what you think!
- Two pieces of fruit bread or fruit loaf. We used the rye bread with cranberries from the Polish Bakery, which has a fab tangy kick.
- A handful of strawberries and raspberries
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- A dollop of honey
- Blue cheese, preferably one that is more creamy than crumbly, something like Saint Agur.
- Grill the fruit bread/fruit loaf till it is nice and crispy.
- In the meantime, chop up the berries and set aside. Add the honey to the balsamic vinegar and mix well.
- Spread a thick layer of blue cheese onto the bread. Be generous!
- Pop the bread back under the grill for 30 seconds / 1 minute, until the cheese just starts to melt.
- Sprinkle the berries over the cheese, and then drizzle with the balsamic dressing.
- Devour as soon as possible!
The lovely folk at the Polish Bakery knew I’m a carb lover so they sent me some bread to try out. Recipe is all my own. Kids these days, eh?